CSNbbs
Razorback Recruiting Report - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC West Team Talk (/forum-238.html)
+----- Forum: Arkansas (/forum-249.html)
+----- Thread: Razorback Recruiting Report (/thread-12058.html)

- calling_the_hogs - 07-10-2002 08:40 AM

<a href="http://www.razorbackcentral.com" target="_blank">www.razorbackcentral.com</a>

Arkansas Commitment Camping In Hog Country
Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Martin Fending Off Recruiters Since Pledging To Hogs

By Mike Capshaw

The Morning News/RazorbackCentral

FAYETTEVILLE -- There will be at least one future Razorback at Houston Nutt's Seniors Camp this month, as Dayton, Texas, offensive tackle Kharylake Martin plans to make the trip.

Since verbally committing to Arkansas assistant David Lee during the early evaluation period, Martin (6-foot-6, 345 pounds, 5.5 second, 40-yard dash) has been contacted by a handful of college coaches trying to persuade him to break his pledge to the Razorbacks.

"They keep saying that if things don't work out (with Arkansas), then give them a call," Martin said.

Don't expect Martin to make that call.

However, Martin -- who has received an estimated "400 to 500 letters" from different schools -- didn't rule out taking an official visit to somewhere other than Arkansas this fall.

"I'll go to Arkansas for sure," Martin said. "I may go to Texas Tech as well because one of my friends is there and I don't think I'll get another chance to see him."

But the Razorbacks' lone out-of-state commitment assured that he still plans to hang his hat in Hog Country next season, regardless of which schools enter the picture.

Martin's road to a Division I scholarship offer began during his seventh grade year, when he finally convinced his parents to let him go out for football.

"I was horrible," Martin said. "I was uncoordinated and falling all over the place.

"And the worst thing, I wasn't mean."

The turning point in Martin's development came during his freshman season, when he would stay after practice to work out with the varsity squad.

"I didn't have much of a choice but to get mean," Martin said. "Because (the seniors) will throw you around and jump on you if you let them."

By the end of his sophomore campaign, a meaner -- but not leaner -- Martin had began turning heads.

"That's when I started getting pretty good," Martin said. "And when it came out in (Dave Campbell's) Texas Football magazine that I was one of the top 300 juniors in the state and I started getting a bunch of letters."

They haven't stopped since.

And probably won't until signing day.

"I still get four or five letters a day," Martin said. "I suspect there'll be quite a few more (coaches) call before it's over, but I'll just have to keep telling them I'm going to Arkansas."

MORE CAMPERS

While Martin's college plans seems to be set, a number of uncommitted prospects are planning to attend Arkansas' exclusive one-day camp on July 20.

Two of the top names to watch include Spring (Texas) Westfield kicker David Dyches and safety Corey Campbell, former teammates of Hogs signee Tony Ugoh.

"I think Arkansas is a pretty good school," Campbell said. "Tony told me a lot of good things about it. I wouldn't mind going there (for college)."

Campbell (6-2, 185, 4.4) is reporting "10 or 11" scholarship offers while Dyches (6-1, 185, 4.76) has been offered by Arkansas, Ohio State and Michigan.

Other prospects who plan to attend camp include Tulsa (Okla.) Washington defensive end Chadd Evans (6-4, 245, 4.8), Covington (Tenn.) running back Antonio Gaines (5-8, 170, 4.4), Pembroke (N.C.) Purnell Swett running back Jarrett Meadors (6-0, 220, 4.4) and Brentwood (Tenn.) offensive tackle Steven Jones (6-6, 291, 5.1).

MIKE CAPSHAW COVERS RAZORBACKS RECRUITING FOR THE MORNING NEWS. HIS COLUMNS APPEAR SUNDAYS AND WEDNESDAYS.

ARKANSAS FOOTBALL COMMITMENTS (10)

Position Player Height Weight 40 Hometown/College

ATH Shermar Bracey 6-2 217 4.33 Rison/Coffeyville

(Kan.) CC

OT Nate Garner 6-7 310 5.5 Pulaski Robinson

OLB Rodney Giles 6-4 230 4.4 Hot Springs

LB Anthony Gray 6-4 215 4.6 Dumas

ATH Herb Grigsby 5-11 155 4.5 Mayflower

DE Marcus Harrison 6-4 285 4.8 LR Mills

FB Farod Jackson 6-1 235 4.6 LR Mills

DT Keith Jackson Jr. 6-2 260 4.7 LR McClellan

OT Kharylake Martin 6-6 345 5.5 Dayton, Texas