Bookmark and Share
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

UA Recruiting Staff Successful In Texas
Sunday, July 7, 2002

Column By Mike Capshaw

THE MORNING NEWS * MCAPSHAW@NWAONLINE.NET

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas coach Houston Nutt wasn't kidding when he said the Razorbacks recruiters would hit Texas harder than ever this season. And it appears the Hogs' coaching staff is doing something right as they have the top three rated prospects in Texas thinking about Arkansas.

Alief (Texas) Elsik tight end Tony Hills Jr. (6-foot-6, 260 pounds) is rated the No. 3 prospect in Texas, regardless of position, by Rivals.com's Jeremy Crabtree.

And he's got a handful of paperwork to back up that rating.

"I've had about 15 or 16 (scholarship) offers," Hills said. "But I'm not looking at any harder than the other so I don't have any favorites."

As far as the rest of this summer, Hills plans on attending camps at Colorado, LSU and Texas.

"I'm thinking about taking some unofficial (visits) as well," Hills said. "I don't know for sure yet, I still need to talk to my mom about it."

As far as Arkansas is concerned, Hills said the Hogs have as good of a chance as any at signing him.

"I've been reading up a lot on Arkansas," Hills said. "It seems like a pretty nice school and there's a solid tradition there of putting out a lot of good players."

The Hogs also seem to have the right coach recruiting Hills.

"(Arkansas assistant Chris) Vaughn has been the most impressive coach recruiting me," Hills said. "I just love his enthusiasm about recruiting and he seems like a really good person."

Hills plans to study each team's offensive schemes before deciding.

"I'm looking for one that uses the tight end as a key weapon," Hills said. "And not just in bail out situations."

Hills has spent five days a week on improving his "agility and leg power."

"I'm capable of running a 4.6 (second, 40-yard dash)," Hills said. "I ran it last time (4.7) in a pair of New Balance running shoes, but next time, I'll run it in track spikes and try to knock it out."

Last season, Hills caught 13 passes for 227 yards and one touchdown.

Hills is a 5-star prospect and is rated as the No. 3 prospect in Texas regardless of position by Rivals.com's Jeremy Crabtree.

Euless (Texas) Trinity offensive lineman Ofa Mohetau (6-3, 335, 4.9) said he doesn't have any favorites at this time.

"Nah, I'm not leaning towards anybody," Mohetau said.

The only thing that's for sure is that Mohetau is planning not to attend school in Texas.

"A lot of people want me to go to UT," Mohetau said. "But I really don't like UT, so I want to go out of state and those are the schools I'm looking at the hardest."

Arkansas, Arizona, BYU, Colorado and Nebraska are the out-of-state schools Mohetau said he's interested in right now.

"I really don't know much about Arkansas," Mohetau said. "I just want to come up there and check everything out.

"I'm always trying to get better than I was yesterday," Mohetau said. "I'm constantly trying to excel and get to another level. I'm always trying to learn new things everyday and find ways to get better because there's always room to improve."

Last season, Mohetau helped Euless Trinity to a 13-2 record and a spot in the Class 5A semifinals. He says he finished with 103 pancake tackles in Trinity's 10 regular season games.

"I'm thinking we'll be pretty good because we only lose one offensive lineman and that's our center," Mohetau said. "So, we should be strong on offense and I'm pretty sure we'll be better on defense."

Mohetau is ranked the No. 2 prospect in Texas by Crabtree.

Jasper, Texas, offensive lineman Jorrie Adams (6-7, 275, 4.85) didn't have much time to talk Friday afternoon.

"I'm on my way out the door," Adans said. "I'm trying to get to work."

But he did pause for a few seconds to talk about the Razorbacks, one of the many teams to extend a scholarship offer during the spring evaluation period.

"I like Arkansas," Adams said. "That's one of the teams I'm staying interested in."

Other schools he's previously mentioned include Oklahoma, UCLA, LSU, Ohio State, Ohio, Michigan State, Florida and Texas A&M.

"I don't have a favorite right now," Adams said. "It's probably still to early to start thinking about just one school."

Crabtree ranks Adams as the No. 1 prospect in Texas.

ARKANSAS FOOTBALL COMMITMENTS (10)

Position Player Height Weight 40 School

ATH Shermar Bracey 6-2 217 4.33 Coffeyville (Kan.) CC

OT Nate Garner 6-7 310 5.5 Pulaski Robinson

OLB Rodney Giles 6-4 230 4.4 Hot Springs

LB Anthony Gray 6-4 215 4.6 Dumas

ATH Herb Grigsby 5-11 155 4.5 Mayflower

DE Marcus Harrison 6-4 285 4.8 LR Mills

FB Farod Jackson 6-1 235 4.6 LR Mills

DT Keith Jackson Jr. 6-2 260 4.7 LR McClellan

OT Kharylake Martin 6-6 345 5.5 Dayton, Texas

LB Derek Moore 6-4 220 4.6 Fort Smith Southside
07-08-2002 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2021 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.